Aspiring to become a top rank wedding photographer? You should know that the run-of-the-mill equipment you have now will need a significant tune-up if you want to step up your photography game. The wedding photography industry is highly competitive, and if you want to get noticed, you need to make sure your captures stand out from the rest.
Aside from fine tuning your own photography skills, buying the right accessories and equipment for your camera will help put you as a front liner in the wedding photography niche. Among the most important accessories you should always have in your arsenal is a high-powered lens specifically designed for dreamy, vibrant, and whimsical pictures that truly capture the emotion of those sweet moments between husband and wife.
Learn which lenses are worth the cost and which one is the perfect choice for your style and preferences by reading more about the best of the best here.
[amazon box=”B00005LE72,B001S2PPT0,B00HQ4W4XO,B00005LE6Z,B004Y1AYAC” template=”table”]
The Absolute Best of the Nikon Lenses for Wedding Photography
Beautiful, breathtaking, and brilliant are just some of the words people have used to describe the wedding photos taken with the Nikkor 1923. This really doesn’t come as a surprise, especially because Nikon is recognized the world over as one of the best camera and photography brands available.
Their NIKKOR 1923 Lens features a compact design, 62-degree picture angle, f2 maximum aperture, 0.85-foot close focusing distance, and a Super Integrated Coating for color balance. All of these come together to help create dreamy, classic images that capture the mood and ambiance of wedding settings and environments to perfection.
Albeit a little expensive, anyone who has ever purchased the NIKKOR 1923 will attest to its quality. Now, because of its superior ability and image capture quality, many would even contest that it’s one of the best Nikon lenses for wedding photography.
What’s Hot About the NIKKOR 1923 Lens
- Super Integrated Coating feature captures rich, vibrant colors that give users more options for post-processing.
- Sturdy build guaranteed to take on wear and tear no matter how often it’s used.
- Lightweight and easy to carry around, making it simple and hassle free to switch between lenses.
- Incredibly sharp image capture in high resolution, perfect for freezing memories in time with the best possible quality.
- Fast and highly responsive to users, making it easy to take quick pictures during events so you never miss a beat.
What’s Not So Hot
- Some users notice a relatively loud focusing noise. This doesn’t interfere with image capture, but can be unsettling and annoying for some users.
- A bit on the pricey end of the spectrum.
The Second Best Lens Wedding Photography by Nikon
It’s amazing how Nikon seems to understand full well what their buyers want from their brand. Another premium choice they’ve recently released is the AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens. This 35mm focal length lens has a minimum focus distance of just 0.30m or 11.81 inches. With an F1.8 maximum aperture, an Ultrasonic-type AF motor, and 52mm filters, this lens packs a powerful punch that can seriously step up your wedding photography game.
The only reason why it didn’t make the top of the list as the best lens wedding photography by Nikon? The lens is ideal for taking shots of scenery and distant subjects. While this can be a preferred style during wedding photography gigs, there are some clients who prefer close up portrait style images that this lens may not be able to aptly fulfil. That said, you might need to have another lens aside from this one to provide a complete spectrum of different styles.
What’s Hot About the AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens
- Nikon F Mount makes it easy to attach and detach the lens without a hassle.
- Powerful specs allow the lens to capture crisp images with rich, vibrant colors and a soft background blur.
- Effortlessly smooth and soft images, even for photographers with little experience.
- Affordable compared to most other lenses in its segment making it an ideal lens for wedding photographers who are just starting out.
What’s Not So Hot
- Slow to focus, which means you may not be able to capture all those little moments during the event.
- A little on the heavy side weighing in at half a pound.
The Third Best Nikon Lens for Wedding Photography
Compact, fast, and effortless are just some of the words patrons of the AF-S NIKKOR 2215 have used to describe this premium lens. Able to capture images with effortless perfection, the 2215 is the best Nikon lens for wedding photography professionals who want to make every snap count.
The combination of ED and AS glass elements makes it possible for this prime lens to produce dazzling images without much effort from the user’s end. High resolution capabilities are stunning on macro settings, which is makes it easy for wedding photographers to capture details on weddings gowns, flowers, and other small details that help make a wedding as magical as it is.
Much like the other Nikon lenses available, this premium lens features a quick and easy attach and detach function allowing you to enjoy fast switches from lens to lens. So it makes an ideal addition into your lens collection if you want to use lots of different lenses for a single event.
What’s Hot About the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 2215 Fixed Focal Length Lens
- Sharp image captures with very little distortion, especially for distant shots such as landscapes and scenery.
- Able to capture images in low light with high resolution, perfect when taking pictures during night time wedding events.
- Small and lightweight, easy to carry around in a small pouch or camera bag.
- Rich, full colors that are captured in the most natural appearance possible.
What’s Not So Hot
- Small amount of distortion around the nose area when taking tight, close-up portrait photos.
Our Fourth Best Nikon Wedding Lens Recommendation
While it is small and sleek, the Nikon AF FX NIKKOR 24mm lens is a worthy investment as a wide-angle lens. This lens was constructed specifically for wedding photography, designed to capture images with immense sharpness and vibrant color like-no-other. The close range correction system unique to the lens guarantees that every photo will be kept clear and crisp even if they’re tight portraits or distant landscapes.
Optimal color balance is achieve with the Nikon Super Integrated Coating technology that minimizes flares, ghosts, and other lighting and color issues that many other lenses tend to cause. Mostly, users have rated this particular option one of the best Nikon wedding lens recommendations for amateurs as some professionals might not be completely satisfied with its power.
What’s Hot About the Nikon AF FX NIKKOR 24mm Lens
- Fast to focus, allowing users to capture the slightest and fastest moments during a wedding event.
- Wide angle construction makes it the ideal lens for capturing dancing guests at a wedding reception, or for shooting crowds during the wedding ceremony itself.
- Beautiful colors captured as richly and naturally as possible, requiring very little post processing.
What’s Not So Hot
- Some professional wedding photographers might not find it satisfying enough to capture super sharp images or high-resolution pictures that some clients prefer.
The Best Cheap Nikon Lens for Wedding Photography
Working on a budget? The Nikon AF S-FX NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G Lens might be right up your alley. While it is on the cheaper side of the spectrum, this high quality lens has been praised as the best cheap Nikon lens for wedding photography because of its sheer sharpness and unrivalled clarity.
What makes the images particularly dazzling is the highly noticeable contrast that users can achieve by blurring out backgrounds with its premium autofocus function. Foreground subjects are captured in premium color and clarity, while those in the background and softly blurred for a dreamy, beautiful, and breathtaking wedding photography style with very little effort.
So whether you’re snapping away at portraits, people in crowds, scenery, or small wedding details like flowers, lace, and lanterns, this budget lens is sure to deliver.
What’s Hot About the Nikon AF S-FX NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G Lens
- Superb contrast between foreground and background subjects.
- High color saturation makes it easier for photographers to achieve multiple styles during the post-process phase of image processing.
- Dreamy overall effect for all captured images which is highly favourable for wedding photographers.
What’s Not So Hot
- Slightly bigger than other Nikon lenses, making it a little clumsy for some photographers.
A Buyer’s Guide for Wedding Photography Lenses
Unsure as to what you should even be looking for when you look for the best wedding photography lens from Nikon? There are a lot of things to consider when buying a new lens accessory for your DSLR.
So to avoid falling into a bad buy, be sure to keep these tips and reminders in handy to help you make the right choice.
- Zoom vs. Prime – Basically, a zoom lens is one that zooms in and out to create a larger or smaller image of your subject. A prime lens is one that doesn’t offer the zooming feature, thus requiring users to get moving to achieve the distance they want from their subject.
Why would anyone want to use a prime if it requires a little more legwork? Well, for a smaller cost, prime lenses offer much more sharpness and often come with larger apertures. That doesn’t mean however that zoom lenses aren’t worse off. There are some zoom lenses that can give the prime a run for its money, but that ultimately depends on how you intend to use your chosen lens.
- Aperture – The aperture tells you how much light the lens can accommodate. Generally, a smaller number designation beside the “f” in the lens’s name will tell you that it has a wider aperture. For instance, a lens with an aperture of f/1.8 will capture a wider shot than a lens with an aperture of f/5.6. For wedding photography purposes, it might be a good idea to have one of both types of lenses. Why, you might ask?
Well, smaller apertures are better at taking tight shots that are mostly done for portraits. Wider ones are better at capturing an entire landscape or scenery, which is best if you want to freeze the wedding reception in time.
- Types of Lenses – Different types of lenses offer different image results. There really isn’t one specific lens type that’s designated for wedding photography purposes as it really all depends on what style you want to develop as an individual photographer.
For instance, most photographers prefer standard lenses because they look natural and formal compared to other types such as fisheye lenses. For scenery, a wide angle lens can give you more depth than what your eyes actually perceive and this can be a major plus if you’re working mostly with sceneries and landscapes such as during outdoor weddings.
The wedding photography industry is highly satiated with competition. Now, you might be a good photographer considering your skill, but that will only translate into pictures if you have the right gear to help you along the way to becoming the best wedding photographer in town.
Make sure to upgrade your gear and get a few extra lenses to bump up your skill and strategy. Try out any one of these vetted lenses to help you sky rocket your wedding photography career in no time.