Do you ever wish you had a better option for recording great quality videos? It sometimes happens when you’re taking a photo in nature and something so spectacular happens, you wish you were able to get a video recording. Or maybe it’s your baby’s first step you want to immortalize on film, instead of in a photo. Whenever life brings you those special moments, be sure to capture it with ease and finesse so that you can remember it for a lifetime, and also share it with others.
Often, finding a good quality video camera that is capable of more than just a basic picture or photo can be difficult. Since phone cameras and recorders can be easily damaged, and sometimes don’t have the settings you want, a DSLR camera is an excellent option to consider. With these cameras, you not only have access to top-quality image production, but you’ve also got Wi-Fi connectivity and sharing options that allow you to share on the fly.
Here are our top choices for a camera with video that will help when shopping for a camera with high quality video capabilities.
What you need to know
Now that you have some facts, we will break it down into a bit more detail. Pros and cons are valuable to look at because it’s a nice summation of the device as a whole, and will help you decide what’s best for you without hours of research.
Nikon D3300 1532 – Best Nikon Video DSLR Camera
- 24.2 MP CMOS DX-format sensor
- 5 frames per second continuous shooting
- 11 AF points with 3D tracking
- ISO 100-12800 (expandable to 25600)
- 1080 (60, 50, 30, 25, 24 fps) HD video (MPEG-4/H.264/MOV).The D3300's 11-point Autofocus System locks onto your subjects as soon as they enter the frame and stays with them until you catch the shot you want.
Want our top choice for the best Nikon DSLR for video? Well, here it is – the Nikon D3300. Shooting at 5 frames per second, you’re sure to get the photos you want. But maybe you want to use it for video also, which is one of this camera’s greatest features. It has got 1080 (60, 30, 25, 24 fps) HD video. Fps means frames per second, and the more you have, the better your video quality will be. This high quality camera also comes with a 3-inch LCD screen containing a whopping 921,000 dots—a feature sure to sway you.
This camera is not just a great deal for the price, but it also has some of the high-tech features that more expensive cameras have, like 11 AF points with 3D tracking, as well as accessibility to Wi-Fi. It is very easy to operate, and you’ll get the hang of it quickly with its quick access options and a beginner-friendly mode. Even though it has a slower light meter than some cameras on the market today, its image quality does not suffer, and we are confident you’ll be pleased with your photos and videos.
Nikon D3100 DSLR Camera – Best Nikon DSLR for Video
- Nikon D3100 D-SLR Digital Camera Body
- •Megapixels: 14.2 Megapixels•Sensor Type: CMOS Sensor• Zoom: 11.0 X Optical •Camera Features: Automatic Image Sensor Cleaning, Full Manual Operation, Vibration Reduction Technology, 1080p HD Movie Recording, Live View, Auto Scene Selector•Flash Features: Slow-Sync Flash, Flash Cancel, Auto On/Off, Rear-Curtain Sync, Pop-Up Flash, Red-Eye Reduction, Fill-In Flash• Display Size: 3.0 "•ISO Equivalent: 100 - 3200•Battery Required, included: 1 lithium ion non-universal •Weight: 16.0 Oz.•Warranty: 1 Year Limited Manufacturer Warranty
One thing to keep in mind with choosing the video camera that’s best for you is longevity. The Nikon D3100 camera is one in a series of Nikons that has stood the test of time. It is a durable and reliable camera that has become an all-around best seller. With 14.2 megapixels and a top-quality CMOS sensor, this camera is one of the best DSLR cameras out there with video capabilities.
As any videographer knows, capturing the right video in the heat of the moment can be tricky. And there’s nothing more annoying than getting something incredible on video, only to realize later that your lens wasn’t properly focused. This camera’s high quality features include not just 1080p HD video capabilities, but also full-time auto-focus complete with 11 AF points. These are truly top-of-the-line features for video in cameras. That means the rare video you were able to record and play back later will always be focused.
Nikon D3400 24.2 MP DSLR Camera – Best Nikon DSLR with Video
- Snap Bridge Bluetooth Connectivity
- 24.2MP DX-Format CMOS Sensor
- EXPEED 4 Image Processor
- No Optical Low-Pass Filter
- Native ISO 100-25600; 5 fps Shooting. Compatibility information: C firmware v. 1.10 and later ( released August 31, 2016 )
As one of the most recent developments from Nikon in their D series, the Nikon D3400 24.2 MP DSLR is a really great quality camera. Whether you’re using it for impressive still shots or you’re out to find the best DSLR with video capability, this one has it all. Forget the convenience of using your camera phone. This Nikon will make you realize that the sacrifice of quality isn’t worth it in the long run. By using this Nikon camera as opposed to your phone camera, you’ll come away with higher quality videos and photos.
The unique thing about this camera is that it contains some greatly needed features that other cameras may not have. With SnapBridge Bluetooth connectivity, you’ll be able to connect anytime anywhere and share your photos with the world. This feature also allows you to back up your photos on the cloud instantly so that you never lose another photo. Come fast action or low light, this camera has settings to overcome it all and allow you to keep a lasting memory of those special experiences in life.
Nikon COOLPIX P530 – Best Nikon DSLR Video Camera
- This Certified Refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The product ships with all relevant accessories, a minimum 90-day warranty. Only select sellers who maintain a high performance bar may offer Certified Refurbished products on Amazon.com
- 16.1MP 1/2.3" BSI CMOS Image Sensor, NIKKOR 4.3-180mm f/3-5.9 VR Lens,24-1000mm (35mm Equivalent),
- 42x Optical Zoom & 82x Dynamic Fine Zoom,Full HD 1920 x 1080 Video Recording
- Electronic Viewfinder & 3" LCD Display
- Manual Exposure Control, Built-In Flash. Wi-Fi Capable with Optional WU-1a Adapter (not included)
If you want the latest technology and like to be on the bleeding edge, here’s a great choice for a top quality camera with all the functions you want. It’s an innovative device with many intuitive features that allow you to be the artist behind the lens. With a 16-megapixel low-light sensor, you’ll be able to take those gorgeous sunset photos. And with a handy flip-up LCD screen, you’ll be able to catch that impressive video content that everyone else missed. Vibration reduction, 40x the optical zoom, and a Nikkor glass lens are all some technical features of this top-seller. So it has all of the great features that other cameras have, but also a creative twist on the classic camera with video. It also has great connectivity options that put it at one of the most popular cameras with video out there. Using SmartBridge, Nikon’s app, you can even control your device remotely.
We think the name says it all. This camera is just a lot of fun. With unique creative features, you can do more things with the photos you take and experiment with artsy photo filters and settings. It will be smooth sailing with this streamlined device.
Canon PowerShot SX530 – Best Nikon DSLR HD Video
- This Certified Refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, a minimum 90-day warranty, and may arrive in a generic box. Only select sellers who maintain a high performance bar may offer Certified Refurbished products on Amazon.com
- Powerful 50x Optical Zoom (24-1200mm); 16.0 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor combined with the Canon DIGIC 4+ Image Processor
- Built-in Wi-Fi allows wireless transferring of images and video to compatible mobile devices
- Capture stunning 1080p Full HD video with a dedicated movie button;
- Large 3.0-inch LCD with a screen resolution of 461,000 dots allows easy viewing even from a wide angle
This is one of our top picks that has become a best-seller for its time. This Canon PowerShot gives other cameras a run for their money because it not only contains a lot of classic features, but it also has some monumental features that set it apart from the rest. With 16 megapixels, it will leave your phone in the dust. It also has 1080p video quality, 50x the optical zoom, and built-in WiFi transfers.
A classic, well-liked camera, this one falls into the “does-it-all” category. Whether you’re looking for high quality images in low light, or stunning video footage, this camera is for you. Its video feature may seem standard, but its dedicated video button and the quality of the video you come away with is remarkable. This is also a great option if this is your first camera or you’re just getting into the business because it has all of the classic features of a great camera. With a best-all-around status, this Canon will dazzle you with years of use, complete with great photos and videos.
Let’s wrap it up – Here’s our buyer’s guide.
For any buyer’s guide, one should ask the question of why. Why are you wanting a product such as this? What will you use it for? Answering some basic questions will help you when it comes down to buying a new camera. Otherwise, you’ll end up buying something that isn’t going to meet your needs.
Now that you know about the cameras we like, let’s talk about some of the technical terms you’ll find and wonder about. Here are a few key words to look for and remember when making your decision about what camera to go for.
- FPS – frames per second. It’s a unit of measuring how many images you will come up with per second. The more frames you can get, the more likely you are to come away with exactly what you want. A really great camera when it comes to fps would have around 5 fps or more.
- Dots – Another unit of measurement. As compared with pixels, there are approximately 3 dots per pixel. Again, the more the better.
- LCD- The liquid crystal display is your screen. Sometimes they’re touchable and other times they’re not. The more dots on your LCD screen, the better your image will appear on the screen.
- AF points- Auto focus points. This is important to know because your auto focus is important to keep ready. Auto focus just chooses a central object in your photo to focus on, but you can tweak it as needed. The more points the auto focus has, the easier it will be to have your photo perfectly focused on what you want.
- 3D tracking- Used to stabilize images or even play around with them—make them blurry or add distortion in a creative way to make the image appear as 3D.
- CMOS Sensor- Complementary metal-oxide semiconductor. If you’re overwhelmed by that, just think of it this way—it’s a fancy way to say that the camera has some high-tech sensors that help weed out too much light, or too much movement. You’ll be glad your camera has technology such as this.
With everything you’ve learned about cameras above, use these resources to check it out on your own and maybe just give one of these cameras a try. Since most come with some kind of warranty plan, you should have options if you’re not pleased with the camera. Nevertheless, we feel sure you’ll be impressed by the features and quality of our top choices for cameras with video. You won’t go wrong with any of them.
We’ve seen some top-of-the-line cameras with really impressive video features. From Bluetooth connectivity options to technical video features, these cameras have it all. Now it’s up to you to take this information and pick your next camera. Remember to consider what you’ll use the camera for, and make sure that the features which are important to you are ones you make sure your next camera has.
Shared under Creative Commons – https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
Lenny K Photography – https://flic.kr/p/r1LfWs
Ryan Tir – https://flic.kr/p/bQ67Bz
Last update on 2017-11-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API