Want to video your most extreme hunting experiences? Do it by using a hunting video camera that rocks!
Unfortunately, that’s not as easy as it sounds – there are countless hunting cameras for sale today, all promising the best performance. It can take hours of sifting through company websites and user experience. Look no further — we’ve done all the legwork for you. We’re tried-and-true experts, so we know what we’re talking about. Read on for the best and most up-to-date hunting video cameras out there today.
Here’s a simple chart that gives you the top hunting video cameras, according to what they offer. We’ve put all our top picks in one place for you to quickly refer to and compare.
Below is our detailed review for each hunting camera after a few weeks of thorough testing in the field. Let’s take a look at each one more closely and why we feel that they deserve to be in the top 5 category.
Bushnell Trophy Cam HD Aggressor Wireless Camera – Best Video Camera for Hunting
- 14.0 Megapixel high-quality full color resolution
- 1280 x 720 HD video
- 48 No-glow Black LED's with 60ft range
- Gaps data tag. Day/night auto sensor
- Field Scan 2X with two available time slots so you can monitor dusk and dawn movement
The Bushnell Aggressor is one of the best hunting video cameras on the market. With its cutting-edge technology, this camera is sure to make your hunting experience top-notch. It has a day/night auto sensor which automatically infers the time of day from the natural surroundings, assesses the available light, and makes adjustments to give you the best quality photos. Forget manually adjusting a big heavy camera—with this Bushnell product, things work much easier and quicker so that you don’t scare away game trying to change settings on your camera. What’s better than accurate and complete automation?
The night time setting is another highlight of this camera. Named “hyper night vision,” this camera is armed with 48 no-glow LED lights at a 60-foot range. This means that you’ll be able to capture some really impressive after-dark photos to show your hunting buddies. With the 14.0 MP high-quality color resolution, you’ll easily capture brilliant and vivid photos of your hunting trip.
You can use this camera on the go, or you can set it up for time lapse. You’ll choose the intervals you want it to shoot—from 1 minute to 1 hour, and within a given set of hours—the choice is all yours! That means you can set it to take a photo every hour if you want. It can additionally be used as a motion sensor (up to 60 feet away!), or you can set the time lapse and walk away.
This camera’s wireless system is to die for. Using the Trophy Cam HD Wireless system, it utilizes the cloud to instantly upload your images. No doubt you’ll be impressed at the speed and ease at which your photos are available, exactly when and where you want them.
Whether you’re setting up the camera to find out where the big game is, or just documenting your hunting experience,this Bushnell camera is truly one of the best hunting cameras money can buy. From its accurate night vision technology to its handy wireless connection upload process, this camera will make a great tool to enhance your hunting experience.
Bestguarder 12MP 1080 HD Scouting Camera – The Best Action Camera for Hunting
- 12MP High Quality Full Color Resolution and 1920*1080P HD Video with Audio Record up to 90s. With 0.6-0.8S high trigger speed, 1-9 pictures per trigger, you won't miss any action.
- With 36pcs 940nm Black IR LED, it allows the hunting camera to take full color photos or videos in daytime and black & white color photos at night up to 75 feet/23m distance or videos up to 10 feet/3m distance.
- Advanced Motion Detection Technology, perfect for the surveillance of reptiles, cold blooded animals or amphibians. 5 Capture Modes: Photo/ Video/ Time Lapse/ Hybrid(Camera+Video)/ Motion Detection, select the proper mode for different observation, give your more convenience.
- Exactly shows the following data in the photo or video- Barometric Pressure, GPS Geotag, Moon Phase, Temperature, Time of Photograph or recording, Date and Camera ID, which offers you more accurate data for observing the animals or plants.
- Advanced Unique Solid Case gives the first protection for the trail game camera. Password needed offers your trail camera another guarantee. IP66 High Waterproof Certified, protect your hunting cam from raining, moist, sand, dust, corrosion etc.
The Bestguarder scouting camera is the best hunting action camera because of its sophisticated sensor technology. Where most hunting cameras are only on a time lapse or are triggered only by heat, this camera guarantees you the best scouting experience. It’s perfect for even the cold-blooded game you might be interested in seeing. Set it up and come back to some awesome pictures for your ultimate hunting experience.
This camera has an impressive 12 MP high-quality capability and boasts the ability to take black and white photos at night from up to 75 feet away. You can even take night time videos from up to 10 feet away. It’s the best hunting action camera because with just one trigger (an at an impressive response time of 0.6 seconds), you can instantaneously take up to 9 pictures, so you’ll be sure to catch that perfect moment.
With its advanced motion-detection system, this camera is one of the best action cameras for capturing pictures of game. Set it up easily to time lapse or auto-detect motion. A lot of settings can be tweaked to your personal taste — the barometric pressure, GSP Geotag, moon phases, temperature, time of photo or recording, and the date and camera ID. Not only is this one of the most detailed and best action hunting cameras, but it is also IP66 High Waterproof Certified (that means it’s really waterproof, and also highly durable) for those unexpected times when everything gets wet!
Overall, this camera is one of the top hunting action cameras. We love its highly advanced sensor and motion technology. Couple that with its lightning-fast trigger response and you’ve got a winner. Since game tends to move quickly, this camera is the perfect one to document a quick-moving animal instantly. Plus, it’s waterproof and extremely durable.
Stealth Cam G42 No-Glo Game Camera – The Second Best Hunting Camera
- RETINA(Sub1--Second Trigger) - Superior low light performance for extended nighttime range
- 42 "BLACK" IR Emitters/100ft range
- Reflex Trigger - .5 seconds
- New Intuitive backlit menu programming
- Burst Mode 1-9 images per triggering. The STC-G42NG take a standard Mini-B USB.
Want a great quality outdoor camera for hunting? This Stealth Cam’s name says it all. With a quick trigger response and modern technology, this efficient game camera is quiet and stealthy—perfect for not scaring off night time game. With an HD hunting video camera like this one, you’ll be able to capture even the most elusive game.
One of the most impressive things about this hunting camera is that it takes high quality night time photos from up to a whopping 100 ft away. Combined with its Matrix Blur Reduction technology, it leaves other cameras in the dust. You’ll be able to take quick shots that turn out to be crystal clear, even at almost pitch-black conditions.
Another feature we liked is its customizable resolution. You can manually set it to take anywhere from 2MP all the way up to 10 MP. Its burst mode (triggered by you) takes up to 9 photos at a time in under half a second. This camera offers the option to go with pre-set modes for quick and easy set up or you can manually set it up to get precisely what you want.
This camera is one of our top picks for best hunting cameras not just for its quick response times and impressive quality photos and videos, but also because of its 100 ft night time shooting distance. It’s easy to use, durable, and extremely stealthy for capturing pictures of your hunt without scaring off animals.
Panasonic HC-V770 HD Camcorder – The Third Best Video Camera for Hunting Filming
- Long 20X zoom draws in the scene from far away. Compatible with Remote Pan Tilt Cradle (optional)
- Exclusive high-dynamic range feature reduces bright spots for a professional look
- Wirelessly connect your smartphone's video camera for a picture-in-picture video effect
If you’re looking for some high quality hunting videos, this Panasonic camcorder is for you. While the first three products we listed above may be better suited for high quality game photos, this camcorder is your best option for filming your excursion. This hunting camcorder is relatively light and compact, while still offering a plethora of useful features.
Sometimes it’s impossible to get close enough for a good shot — that’s not going to be a problem with this awesomePanasonic camcorder. It’s got a long 20X zoom feature that brings the wildlife up close and personal. It has a high-dynamic range which will reduce bright spots and improve the quality of your filming automatically. One of the best features we liked is that there is a free remote app to control your camera from a distance in real-time. You can even live stream what’s going on using USTREAM for others who are interested in your trip. With this camcorder, you have endless creative possibilities. It even has a special setting to put your videos into smooth slow motion video content!
This is a perfect camera if you want to film your trip and still be able to travel light. With flawless wifi and limitless connectivity options, it will be a breeze to film and instantly upload your videos for vlogging or just showing others. With the remote app, you have ultimate control. This top-of-the-line camcorder is perfect for your next trip.
GoPro Hero – The Best GoPro Hunting Camera
- Stunning 4K video and 12MP photos in Single, Burst and Time Lapse modes.
- Durable by design, HERO5 Black is waterproof to 33ft (10m) without a housing
- Additional GoPro HERO5 Black Features + Benefits below on item page.
- Preview and playback your shots, change settings and trim your footage, all on your GoPro.
- Battery can sustain 60-90 minutes of continuous 4K video recording
GroPro cameras are the “Go to” for extreme adventure seekers all over the globe. Given their capacity to weather extreme conditions, these cameras are an awesome addition for your next hunting trip. GoPros aren’t just for surfers or bikers, as often advertised. This GoPro Hero makes one of the best and most efficient outdoor hunting video cameras.
Obviously, these devices have some extreme weather features that lend them their reputation as durable cameras. With an impressive waterproof ability (131 ft), you won’t worry if you drop it along the way or experience sudden wet weather. Not just water, though—it’s able to with stand dirt, sand, or other types of extreme conditions.
Another feature we liked about thisGoPro Hero is that it is compatible with all other GoPro mounts. Should you later decide to get a different type of camera mount, it’ll fit right in. Given the many different ways of mounting your GoPro, it’s an easy accessory to wear. This comes in really handy when you don’t want to carry an additional camera case, or you want quick access to your gear. But if you’re thinking the only benefits to this camera is its durability, take a look at the ultra-wide-angle glass lens that will capture the most brilliant videos.
The GoPro is also extremely diverse. Whatever you want to use it for, it’s got what you need. A built-in microphone and high-res video quality offer you the best of the film world, while you can also use a trigger/burst option or a time lapse to capture photos.
Simple. It’s just a good video camera for hunting, or any other extreme sport or condition. It’s mountable, wearable, able to withstand extreme conditions, and it gives a phenomenal picture. With this camera, you can do it all. If you want an excellent all-rounder, this is a solid choice.
What Do You Want?
So now that you’ve seen our top cameras to use for hunting, here’s a little more on what you want to look for. The key is figuring out exactly what you plan to use your camera for. You’ll have to ask some basic questions — where will you use this? Under what conditions? It may also help to define your purpose — are you going to use this to remotely capture timed photos of game in the area, or are you aiming to have a live-action video of your most thrilling experience? Whatever you come up with will point you in the right direction, since our cameras each have unique features to choose from.
Things to Check For
Once you’ve outlined what you want to use your hunting camera for, you will begin to look at these products more individually based on the features each one offers. For more specific expectations, check for things like night-time functionality or wide angle field of view (FOV). Whatever you do, make sure to check for a few options on any product. Here are four must-checks before making your purchase:
- Video quality – As with any camera, you’ll want to make sure it’s worthy of your time and money. Ask yourself if its video capabilities meet your standards. A camera with 4K resolution is the most efficient choice out there, but 1080p and 720p are the next best options if you’re on a tighter budget.
- Images – Just like checking for the quality of its video ability, check to see what kind of images it puts out. The more megapixels (MPs) it has, the clearer your image will be.
- Connections – Is this device going to be easy to use? Does it have a WiFi option? Be sure to read up on its connectivity options. Many cameras now have instant upload features, upload using cloud, or even have USTREAM settings for live streaming content on the web.
- Usability – Is the device heavy or sensitive? Does it have the mounting options you prefer? Do you want to carry it in your pocket? There are many questions to ask, but be sure to ask them before making your purchase. Hunting cameras come in all shapes, sizes, and weights so make sure you’re not buying something that doesn’t meet your usability standards.
The winners for this round-up of awesome hunting cameras are: Bushnell Trophy Cam HD Aggressor Wireless Camera, the Bestguarder 12MP 1080 HD Scouting Camera, the Stealth Cam G42 No-Glo Game Camera, the Panasonic HC-V770 HD Camcorder, and last but not least, the GoPro Hero.
These top 5 cameras for hunting are among the highest-rated products available now. They all excel in their own ways, we hope this article will help you realize what features you need or want, and have a clear option for those. From the Panasonic camcorder’s remote features to the GoPro Hero’s extreme durability, we are certain you’ll find what you’re looking for in this list. Now that we’ve outlined a few of the top choices in action cameras for your special hunt, it’s up to you to make the decision!
Shared under Creative Commons – https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
USFWSmidwest – https://flic.kr/p/yE2X6t
m01229 – https://flic.kr/p/dooCHp
Last update on 2017-10-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API