When traveling the world there is no end to the number of amazing sites you may encounter. In this article, we take a look at the best DSLR Cameras for travel that money can buy. We hope to equip you with the best camera possible to enable you to record the many experiences you may encounter while traveling.
We have selected five excellent DSLR cameras that meet this very purpose, we present their features and benefits along with discounts where possible as displayed below.
As you look into choosing a camera, there are factors you need to take into consideration;
Size and Weight: You want that lightweight camera that is portable and convenient for travel.
Low–light performance: Camera shakes can happen to anyone so you need a camera that offers shake reduction, has fast lenses, big sensors and high ISO to combat low-light situations.
Ease of Use: The camera needs to be one you can handle and easily manipulate the settings to capture those natural picture perfect moments.
Flexibility: A camera that offers you a variety of lenses or an adjustable inbuilt one to suit your various needs is considerable.
Image quality: After all is said and done, a clean, sharp print is what you want and you cannot afford to sacrifice picture quality for anything.
With these factors in consideration, have a glimpse into some DSLR cameras that will leave you spoilt for choice.
The Absolute Best DSLR Camera for Travel
- 30.4 MP full-frame CMOS sensor for versatile shooting
- Up to 7.0 frames per second continuous shooting speed
- 61-point AF system with 41 cross-points for expanded vertical coverage
- ISO range 100-32000 with 50-102400 expansion
- 4K video recording at 30p or 24p and in-camera still frame grab of 8.8MP images
The Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Full Frame Digital SLR is easy to use with a touch screen that you will use more often than the joystick provided to navigate the menu. The shooting speed is pretty fast at 7 frames per second. You can get sharp shots at exposure times of even one focal length, combined with the ISO range of 100-32000 with 50-102400 expansion.
This ISO coupled with the DR (dynamic range) enables you to double your shutter speed and the wider image allows you to capture all the wildlife even birds in flight, giving you an option to crop these images later. If this is not considered as one of the features in the best DSLR cameras for travel then I do not know which feature is.
ThisCanon EOS 5D Mark IV Full Frame Digital SLR is not only for still photography but can also film videos. The presence of the 61 points AF (autofocus) system when filming makes it immensely convenient and the 4K for sharp footage gives this baby an edge. In low light, thisCanon EOS 5D Mark IV has the ability to gain focus fast. You can handle this camera comfortably and with a lot of ease as the rubber is designed for a firm grip. The lens system is an outstanding auxiliary support that brings the images closer, replicating your eye’s vision.
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Full Frame Digital SLR Specifications
• 30.4 MP full-frame CMOS sensor for versatile shooting
• Up to 7.0 frames per second continuous shooting speed
• 61-point AF system with 41 cross-points for expanded vertical coverage
• ISO range 100-32000 with 50-102400 expansion
• 4K video recording at 30p or 24p and in-camera still frame grab of 8.8MP images
• Touch-screen LCD monitor
The 30.4-megapixel full frame and the expansion allow you to capture any form of an image including flying birds. You can later crop the image for your desired framing, eliminating foreground and overhead room.
Did you know that you can upload your photos directly from the camera onto social media? A rare feature on handheld cameras, the WiFi and GPS facilitates this.
If you do not desire to shoot nature or videos, the WiFi is not a vital feature
Since theCanon EOS 5D has a Complementary metal–oxide–semiconductor (CMOS) chip saving power due to its low-power sensor. Power being a vital component of any camera, you can be sure that it will run for longer before requiring a battery charge. This feature and the reinforcing attributes that make for clean sharp images make it a camera worth checking out.
The Second Best Compact DSLR for Travel
- Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera Body
- Lexar Professional 1000x 128GB SDXC UHS-II/U3 Card (Up to 150MB/s read) w/Image Rescue 5 Software LSD128CRBNA1000
- AmazonBasics DSLR and Laptop Backpack - Orange interior
- AmazonBasics 60-Inch Lightweight Tripod with Bag
- Lexar Professional 1000x 64GB SDXC UHS-II/U3 Card (Up to 150MB/s read) w/Image Rescue 5 Software LSD64GCRBNA1000
This camera is made to fit better in your hand with a rubber that enhances the grip making it easier to hold. Autofocus (AF) is always a bone of contention when it comes to any camera. Without sound focus, the images will remain wanting. Even in poor lighting, you can adjust the ISO and focal length to get that sharp focus. The Canon EOS 5D Mark III screen is akin to high-end smartphones. Sleek with a coating for easy viewing even when out on the move in different light conditions.
Have you ever thought of backing up your data on your camera? Well, this camera is not considered one of the best travel camera DSLR for nothing. You can back up your data to a second slot for storage. Don’t you just hate it when your card fills up at inopportune moments when you need to capture a certain memory or scene? Spanning solves this predicament by automatically switching to a blank card once the first card is full; sparing you the frustration of having to interrupt your shooting.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Specifications
• 22MP full frame CMOS sensor
• 6 frames per second continuous shooting
• 61-point AF system
• ISO 100 – 25600 range with 50 – 102,800 expansion
• 1080p HD video recording with manual controls
• 3.2 inch LCD with 1,040,000 dots
With the white balancing feature, you are bound to save time during post processing, having to correct the color less than you would without the white balance.
A brand new feature worthy of one of the best travel camera DSLR is the ability to re-map buttons for alternative functions that are value adding to the images you capture on the road.
There is a myriad of new settings and options that can be confusing. As a result, reading the manual is vital to ensure proper manipulation of this camera for results worthy of one of the best travel camera DSLR.
The overall experience of this camera offered by its versatile features, renders it one of the best travel camera DSLR. TheCanon EOS 5D Mark III low-light capacity and 61-point autofocus produce a clean sharp image that is the pride of every traveler. Reading the manual will enable you to get the most of out of this camera by enabling easy settings adjustment.
The Third Best Travel DSLR On The Market
- 45-point all cross-type AF system* allows for superb autofocus when shooting with the optical viewfinder and focusing area selection modes.
- Intelligent Viewfinder with approximately 100% viewfinder coverage.Approx. 730g / 25.75oz. (Based on CIPA Guidelines),Approx. 650g / 22.93oz. (Body only)
- 24.2 Megapixel (APS-C) CMOS sensor helps provide impressive, high-resolution results.Shooting speed of up to 7.0fps makes it an excellent choice for capturing moving subjects
- Improved Dual Pixel CMOS AF helps you shoot video with smooth, fast and accurate autofocus, and stills with instant and precise autofocus.
The Canon EOS 80D DSLR Camera captures high-quality still and video images. With 4k video recording producing clean, sharp images, you can enjoy shooting for longer without changing cards with a large capacity of up to two 512GB in a pack. When you are done shooting, you can transfer your files from the card to the computer at high speeds, accelerating your workflow. Downloadable Rescue Software can salvage your images from within the camera.
TheCanon EOS 80D DSLR Camera is easy to use with convenient buttons located at the back of this camera. These buttons simplify the camera’s functions with its compactness rendering it easy to handle and manipulate. You can easily transport this camera due to its lightweight, making it one of the best compact DSLR for travel. When set in manual mode, it offers a large selection of features that can be adjusted for picture perfect images.
Canon EOS 80D DSLR Specifications
• 45-point all cross-type AF system
• Intelligent Viewfinder with approximately 100% viewfinder coverage.
• 24.2 Megapixel (APS-C) CMOS sensor helps provide impressive, high-resolution results.
• Improved Dual Pixel CMOS AF
The dual pixel autofocus is instantaneous and impresses even more when paired with a Canon lens. The autofocus remains sharp even when paired with an f8 in low light.
The LCD screen reveals shooting information that photographers may deem vital in the functions. Meanwhile, the LCD can also be rotated to prevent damage to it.
This camera lacks the screen sensor that many other cameras may have.
If you are traveling then, this is the best compact DSLR for travel for its compactness, lightweight and sharp autofocus. It is certainly worth a glance when checking out cameras.
The Fourth Best DSLR for Travel Photography
- Brand New - Includes Nikon USA Warranty
- D5500 Black DX-format DSLR Camera with AF-S NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II Lens
- 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX NIKKOR Lens, 2.5X Telephoto, 0.45X Wide Angle Lenses, Slave Flash, 58mm UV, Polarizer & FLD Deluxe Filters, 58mm Multicoated UV Protective Filter
- Compact Gadget Bag, 3 Card Tri-fold Memory Card Wallet, Hi-Speed SD Card Reader
- 32GB SDHC Class 10 High Speed Memory Card
The Nikon D5500 Black DX is easily an inspiration to any photography enthusiast for its compactness and strength that makes it easy to transport. The touch screen enables you to view the various settings and adjust them for that best shot of 24.2-megapixel photo. Apart from the stills, you can also record video using the versatile HD video camera.
You can record 1080 video at a high speed of frame rate 60p enabling you to capture the elusive fast moving images. You can also create quality slow motion effects for impact and variety. Apart from this slow-motion feature, did you know that you can have interval-timer sequences, artistic filters, effects and retouch your shots before sharing them in the WiFi?
Nikon D5500 Black DX Specifications
• Brand New – Includes Nikon USA Warranty
• D5500 Black DX-format DSLR Camera with AF-S NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II Lens
• 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX NIKKOR Lens, 2.5X Telephoto, 0.45X Wide Angle Lenses, Slave Flash, 58mm UV, Polarizer & FLD Deluxe Filters, 58mm Multicoated UV Protective Filter, 16GB SD Memory Card
• 8GB SD Memory Card, Compact Gadget Bag, 3 Card Tri-fold Memory Card Wallet, Hi- speed SD Card Reader
You can easily record film and enhance the viewing with slow motion effects, artistic filters, effects and retouch your images for an interesting end product.
The tripod stand seems to be weak and flimsy, giving in under the weight of the camera. The tripod is unable to handle the not-so-weight compact camera.
This is one of the best DSLR travel cameras you can be sure to carry with you on the road with its compactness and ability to enhance your images using special effects.
TheNikon D5500 Black DX produces quality images with a Raw capture, offering a chance to fine-tune saturation and contrast afterward. The inbuilt WiFi facilitates the fast and easy transfer of images from your camera to your phone while you may still be out either sightseeing or on the road trip, making it one of the best DSLR cameras for travel photography. You can get high-performance optical viewfinder facilitating quick and precise framing and capturing of images.
The Fifth Best Travel DSLR Camera
- 18.0 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) image sensor and high-performance DIGIC 4+ Image Processor for excellent speed and quality.
- ISO 100-6400 (expandable to H: 12800) for shooting from bright light to low light.
- Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC connectivity provide easy sharing to compatible smart devices, select social media sites and the Canon Connect Station CS100 device.
- 9 point AF system (including one center cross-type AF point) and AI Servo AF provide impressive autofocus performance with accurate results.
- High-performance Optical Viewfinder helps facilitate quick and accurate focusing by firmly framing and capturing the subject at hand.
Canon EOS Rebel T6 Specifications
• 18.0 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) image sensor and high-performance DIGIC 4+
• ISO 100-6400 (expandable to H: 12800)
• Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC connectivity
• 9 point AF system (including one center cross‐type AF point) and AI Servo AF
• High-performance Optical Viewfinder
If you are an Instagram fan and need those photos to go live with immediacy while still on the road, the best camera for travel photography facilitates easy sharing with the inbuilt WiFi and NFC connectivity.
You get to tinker with all the features provided using both the automatic and manual modes.
This Canon EOS Rebel T6 lacks a touchscreen and touch-to-focus options that give an autofocus and simplify adjustments to features for picture perfect images.
This camera is one of the best small sized cameras for beginners. The first thing that is noticeable about this camera is its small size. The guided auto modes walk novices through the camera’s functions with help for shutter and aperture controls. It’s lightweight does not give you a chance to ponder about leaving it behind while going out on the road.
The Final Verdict
At the end of the day, when choosing the best DSLR camera for traveling, be on the lookout for a combination of weight or size, clarity, and functionality. You want a versatile camera that will enable you to capture those rare moments even if it means having to crop images.
Shared under Creative Commons – https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
darkday – https://flic.kr/p/riEipP
Moyan Brenn – https://flic.kr/p/8YVcQj
Last update on 2017-10-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API